Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Magic is in each moment : Guzaarish


On Sunday I watched the movie Guzaarish. And I hated the movie. I hated it because it didn't let me weep ( as I must when something touches me deeply ). It formed tears in one deep corner of my heart , it brought them to my eyes and before I could shed them , it said mischievously , खरी है खोटी है , रोने को छोटी है ... सौ ग्राम ज़िन्दगी , संभालके खर्ची है...

It was a wonderful movie. It begins with a song which is about Smiling and living life at fullest , but soon we learn that the protagonist wants to submit a petition of Euthanasia i.e. Mercy-killing in court. That's an irony. For protagonist the journey is difficult. He is being misunderstood by his friends and those who revere him as an ideal because after his accident for twelve long years he was paralyzed and yet he inspired millions to fight and live and people thought now he himself is leaving the battle. I thought the same. But as the movie progressed I began to love the Magician (protagonist) and the moment I felt love for him , I understood him and his pain and so I wished him death to stop his pain. 

It is a rare skill of knowing when to quit honorably. Quit , here simply means , to leave the ground when you think it is right time to leave. At any turning point of our life , we should remember , it is our own life and not of those who love us. So the decisions should be ours and not theirs. Suppose they take our decisions , will they come and bear its consequences - No. 

Well at the core of the movie there is Magic. The protagonist is a Magician. But why magic has been shown as his profession?  Because Magic is something we perform and witness every second and does not value it. What is magic , by the way? A trick , an illusion? What is life? An  illusion - as most of saints tell us. And what is happiness? Wise men tell us , its a trick. And what's a trick? Which we ourselves perform. So isn't it our own choice to be happy and live thankfully. Thankfully because God gave us this magic to perform. Now its up to us how beautifully we perform it. 

I bet Sanjay Leela Bhansali has performed his magic very well. Once in a while , such movies show us a ray of hope for Indian Cinema. We have almost forgotten that Cinema is an art and it should be treated as an art. Rat bitten scripts , cheap comedy , cliche dialogues and poor cinematography is offered to us on the name of Cinema. Guzaarish , on the contrary (to me at least) seems to be an artist's work. It had superb script , significant dialogues and very well acting - a combo pack. And yes , how can I forget about beautiful songs? They are wonderfully written and composed. 

I think the movie deserves at least one watch. And mind please , a careful watch , without prejudices. And remember one dialogue from it always - 

Life is short,
Break the rules, 
forgive quickly, 
kiss slowly, 
love truly, 
laugh uncontrollably, 
And never regret anything that made you smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment